Man escapes burning house after incense sticks set fire to furniture

A man had to be helped out of his burning house after incense sticks ignited furniture.

Taunton fire crews were called to the three-storey Duke Street terraced property at 9.30pm on Wednesday February 9.

A concerned neighbor had alerted emergency crews after hearing the smoke detector go off.

Read more: Sexual assault in Taunton residential area prompts police call

The male occupant was quickly located and rescued unharmed from the property.

The fire, in the living room on the ground floor, was extinguished using two breathing apparatuses and a hose reel.

A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear the property of smoke.

A spokesperson for the Devon and Somerset Rescue Service said: “The fire, which started accidentally after incense sticks were left unattended, was confined to the living room and furniture but caused smoke in the rest of the apartment.”

Taunton and Wellington firefighters were called again just before midday on Saturday February 12 to reports of a burning flat in Sampford Arundel.

Crews saw smoke billowing from windows and deployed two crew members wearing breathing apparatus who discovered a burning washing machine.

Read more: MoD called out to Taunton construction site amid ‘bombing’ fears

Crews extinguished the fire using two breathing apparatuses, a jet hose reel and a thermal imaging camera.

The kitchen was badly damaged by the fire and the rest of the apartment was heavily smoked.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

Want our top stories with fewer ads and alerts when the biggest news drops? Download our app on iPhone or Android

Comments are closed.